Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -FutureFinance
Surpassing:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-05 15:26:56
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Surpassingagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (74)
Related
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Key L.A. freeway hit by arson fire reopens weeks earlier than expected
- NFL Week 11 winners, losers: Broncos race back to relevance with league-best win streak
- Tanzania confirms intern believed taken by Hamas in Israel is dead
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Lionel Messi at Maracanã: How to watch Argentina vs. Brazil in World Cup qualifier Tuesday
- 3 teen girls plead guilty, get 20 years in carjacking, dragging death of 73-year-old woman
- California male nanny sentenced to over 700 years for sexual assaulting, filming young boys
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Deep sea explorer Don Walsh, part of 2-man crew to first reach deepest point of ocean, dies at 92
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- The pre-workout supplement market is exploding. Are pre-workouts safe?
- Senate panel subpoenas CEOs of Discord, Snap and X to testify about children’s safety online
- Companies are stealthily cutting benefits to afford higher wages. What employees should know
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- GOP presidential hopefuls use Trump's COVID record to court vaccine skeptics
- 'Cougar' sighting in Tigard, Oregon was just a large house cat: Oregon Fish and Wildlife
- Georgia jumps Michigan for No. 1 spot in college football NCAA Re-Rank 1-133
Recommendation
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
4-year-old girl in Texas shot by grandpa accidentally in stable condition: Authorities
Precious water: As more of the world thirsts, luxury water becoming fashionable among the elite
Tom Schwartz's Winter House Romance With Katie Flood Takes a Hilariously Twisted Turn
Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
'Napoleon' movie review: Joaquin Phoenix leads the charge in Ridley Scott's erratic epic
New iPhone tips and tricks that allow your phone to make life a little easier
Are Nikki Garcia and Artem Chigvintsev Ready for Baby No. 2? She Says...